RCU Forums - View Single Post - Wings Folded - Kadet Senior -UPDATE
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Firebird25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wings Folded - Kadet Senior -UPDATE

This afternoon during it's 5th flight the wings on my Kadet Senior folded, broke off , fluttered down and the fuse went straight down with the new OS 56 FS first into the dirt up to the firewall. Needless to say I am not very happy.

This ARF when it came first out of the box had a few loose balsa parts. Since I had read about ARFs sometimes not having glue in the right places, I had checked everything and glued anything that looked suspicious. Obviously not enough! In retrospect, I probably should have epoxied and glassed the wing halves to prevent this from happening, but the instructions do not make such suggestions.

The aluminum spar that holds the wing halves together had simply broken thru the bottom of the wing but the nylon wing bolts are still in place... The OS 56 FS alfa needs a new head as the muffler took a piece with it when it broke off...

The plane is a total loss. And the darn thing is, that it actually is a really nice plane for the beginner that I am.

I'll report this to SIG and see what their reaction is.

8/25/08 - update

Today, I received an e-mail from Bob Nelson at SIG MFG with the message that a new Kadet Sr had been sent out as a replacement. That is an example of excellent customer service!