RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dietrich Extra 260 50cc
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dietrich Extra 260 50cc

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to let you know about a problem I had with my DPA 260 this weekend. If you don't use wheel pants, and used the INCLUDED axles, you will find this of interest. On Sunday, first flt. of the day, lifted off and was about 15 ft. off the deck when the left wheel fell off! [X(] My first thought was to fly the gas out of it, but then said heck with that, wanted the extra weight on landing. Had a nice headwind of about 10 or better mph, lined it up and flew a nice approach, putting it near or at stall when it contacted. The strut dug in, the plane went tail up, touched the spinner to the ground, and sat back down. Saving grace was one; the wind, and two; it had rained heavily the day before. The prop sliced the ground so cleanly there wasn't even dirt on it. If fact there was no dirt or grass on the plane. Only damage was a hairline crack from the left side of the gearbox to the first rearward blindnut, picked up for another 1/2 " on the other side of same blindnut. Soaked some thinned epoxy into it then reinforced with some light area over the cracks. Now.. why did the wheel fall off? At the field, it looked like it had sheared somehow, but once got it home learned the truth...

At the end of the axle is a bolt head with 5/16th screw. Now.. I thought these axles were cut from one piece. Wrong! That screw is hollowed out and the axle is heat pressed or such onto it. Thats what came loose. Once the 3/16 axle separated from the bolt, there was absolutely nothing to keep the wheel on. Not sure how often something like that happens, but am replacing the included axles with DuBro. PSP might be better, but looks like those have a spacer built on, which would be great if using wheel pants, but otherwise sets the gear too far out. Anyway, defective part almost cost a nice repair job, thankfully nature intervened with wind and damp ground. The plane has never had a hard landing in 91 flights. I may slop some of my flying, but I'll ace the landing, so I don't think it was preventable. Gotta love those gremlins!

ORIGINAL: Aerozona
..1972 SS/M Sniper...
Ahh.. former 1/75th Ranger here, you're a couple years ahead of me, signed up in '78.