RCU Forums - View Single Post - YAK 54 TOC1
Thread: YAK 54 TOC1
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 08:41 PM
rollyshobbies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: YAK 54 TOC1

To reply to RCWI & Turd1,

I recently purchased a TOC1 30% yak here on RCU. I must it was a very nice built with all good stuff. Set up was DA50, carbon 22x8 prop, 5955 all around, 3 ion batt & regs, 2 for the receiver and 1 for ignition ect.... I purchased the plane for a back up / second 3D plane. After my first couple flights I found that it was very slow on hover pull outs and it was actually a bit scary. Performed well for fast 3d flying but was a lug for slow low 3D.
It turns out the plane wieght was close to 20LBS before fuel. A 750cc fuel tank (26 OZ) fueled weight is another 2 lbs. That means it was pulling 22LBS. Wow, weight.
I put a tach on it and I was getting 7150-7200 RPM. That is realy good. Engine has been well broken in and it runs like a dream. After the first start, it starts one flip all day!
Anyways, I wanted to get the wieght down but was not sure what to do. Did alot of reading here on RCU and TBM. (Troy built models). One of the tips mentioned by TBM is that if your gonna shave weight, go big ot dont bother. So I did, final weight in at 17 LBS 2 OZ.

Here is what I did:
- carbon Wing & stad p/n: JAE12.5x450 & JAE25x920 (had to sand down wing tube to fit.
- Karvan 3" tires p/n: K3
- MPI titanium axles p/n: MPIWA205
- GraphTech CF tailwheel assembly
- replaced Rudder cable with Kevlar p/n: TBMppckevlar

These items where basicaly bolt ons, other things included:
- no spinner (like the look and saved 4 oz) Also helped with balance
- removed floor and dash panels in canopy.
- removed servo cable connectors and just used fish line.
- removed excese tape, foam, tie wraps ect...
- removed receiver box (was not stock, this was added by previous owner
- no springs on tailwheel (wheel will follow when taxi, just use high rates for better control) also helps to remove weight on tail.
- removed excess wood in fuse, some areas dont need to be their (this is only recomended when you know what your doing)

These are all little tricks I did to remove wight, and what a difference, pull outs are great!, rolling circles with 1/8" or less throttle, walls etc.... its now feels like a 14 lbs plane.

Another thing I did was installed the fuel tank in the can area centered on CG. This helps with balance so the flying feel does not change when you are running out of fuel.

Anyways, so sum it up, to make a difference you needs to do lots, do some reading and it also depends on your buget. I am telling you it makes the worl of a difference and it will fell like a new plane!

Let me know if you have any question as to what I did, I will do my best to help.

Rolly