RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rookie needs Help/Advise on fiberglassing a Balsa/Ply Hydroplane
Old 08-27-2008, 05:26 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Rookie needs Help/Advise on fiberglassing a Balsa/Ply Hydroplane

Dread, I had a pretty extensive conversation with the guy today, I had recommended 2ounce or so. Any particular reason you are suggesting 6 to 8 ounce? I have laid up a lot of 8 ounce glass on Fiberglass fuse's, and I would personally consider that a whole lot of extra weight, but not sure the benefit you are getting there? Is it for durability? My thoughts were that the strength of the model would be in the build, and then you simply want to protect and seal the boat.

I know opinions are just that, but I have never built a boat, and showed him several examples, pictures, and instructional material, and ultimately he will have to make a decision so I thought I would add in the mix what I told him so it's layed out and not TOO muddy.

Thanks in advance.

There is a 6 ounce loose weave out there that I have used, that might not be a bad choice, but the 8 ounce heavy weave I used make a 5lb fuse with two layers on what I have been able to get in at 3lbs using other methods, and 1 lb using honeycomb.