RCU Forums - View Single Post - ECU Burn-out problem
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 07:36 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default ECU Burn-out problem

I've had a recurring problem with my P-120SE ECU's burning out on my MIBO A-10 during engine start. I've gone through 6 in 12 flights. Bob Wilcox has been working with me and we initially focused on shortening the long runs from the ECU's to the engines but the problems still persist. Although no one who has looked at my installation (including Bob and other JetCat reps), can find anything obviousy wrong, there has to be something causing the problem. I would like to briefly describe my setup and entertain any suggestions on what I might change to solve the problem.

I have located my ECU's, UAT's, fuel pumps and starting gas valves up front under the cockpit for accessibility and cg purposes. All the fuel, power and data cables are running together (away from the servo leads) down the center of the airplane. The batteries (JetCat supplied A123's) are in the nose.

The problem occurs during engine start and usually aborts after the kero starts flowing with a "slow accell" message. Afterwards, the ECU will not spin the motor, either manually or for start (although all other functions are normal and I can actually start the motor with a blower and go fly). The problem is intermittant and I may get 1 to 4 normal starts before the ECU fails.

I have been offered suggestions including separating the data cables from the other leads, replacing the carbon fiber ECU, IO and RX boards with ply, and using anti-static additive and fuel lines.

It's a little hard to tell from these pics but the fuel pumps are mounted on the bottom and the ECU's on a board about 2" above them.

I'm ready to try almost thing (within reason) to isolate and eliminate this problem.

Thanks,

Craig

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24958.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1020759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99399.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1020760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25523.jpg