RCU Forums - View Single Post - WACO YMF
Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 03:08 PM
SuperCub Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Hi Dan. Quite easy really. I used the same thing on my Skybolt (sob, sob!) I simply get the outside shape of the cockpit and trim 1/4" off the outside. I then glue black neoprene tubing all around the outside of the shape, flush with the trimmed edge. I then get some leather or simulated leather in the desired colour and wrap the form carefully leaving the material 1/2" larger. Then I carefully make a 1/4" seam around the outside by folding the material on itself and adhereing it with contact cement making sure the material folds neatly without any corners. I then glue the whole mess in position on the fuse. I stick nicely spaced pins through the outside 1/4" of material into the fuse where I put a drop of CA on the pin inside the fuse and cut it flush with the inside of the fuse.
The effect is that the tubing under the material looks like the combing of the covered cockpit and the pins simulate the fasteners holding the cover in place. If you want to cut a hole under the cover so it sinks in a little in the middle, go ahead. I like keeping the fuse strong in this area unless one builds support into the fuse structure to reinforce another cockpit opening.
If this needs more explanation - let me know and I'll try to draw a pix! The operative word here is try!