RCU Forums - View Single Post - 90 lx?
Thread: 90 lx?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 12:48 AM
thomp896

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 lx?

Ran the 90LX for the first time today on my patriot xl. Running 15% cool pwer fuel with an APC 11-8 prop. As per insructions I ran it up until it was "on the pipe" then backed off a bit,maybe too much. Frankly scared me a bit with the RPM and the noise when it reved up, I usually fly four strokes. So I ran a few tanks thru it at full throttle but only at about 10 to 11 K with cool downs between. At one point I tried to lean it a bit and it seemed to go too lean but I was still a good 3 turns out from closed. It never really over reved, but seemed to get pretty hot. Was some smoke coming off the motor when I backed it off,but still seemed like there was lots of oily smoke coming out the pipe. The low end seems pretty rich with a sloppy transition so I leaned it a bit, maybe 1/4 turn total perhaps a bit more. Went to go fly for the first time and it never seemed to get on the pipe in the air. Am I being to timid with the needle seetings? I really don't want to screw up this beautiful engine. I have all kinds of "helpful" advice at the field but would appreciate help from the expert. My thought is to lean the low end a hair and clean up the transition and see how it goes. My other question is where does the high end needle usually end up, 3 turns out sounds like a lot, but I've never had a high performance engine before. Thanks and sorry for the long question, Steve