RCU Forums - View Single Post - 90 lx?
Thread: 90 lx?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Fortune7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 90 lx?

I have the 90LX and have been very happy with performance on my Little Toni. Last time it flew though I had over-leaned it and ruined the piston and liner, so I just replaced them and will be getting flying again soon, hopefully. I'm back in UK now (Bob), which is why you haven't heard from me in a while; it took a long time to get re-established with model flying after dragging all my stuff back from Florida. Bob and Dub's advice to run the engine on a stand is absolutely right in my view; when it's in the aircraft there are more things to be concerned about and everything is enclosed and often difficult to access. Keep it simple and you'll have no issues. I admit that some of my problems were down to fuel foaming; as Bob says it's a fierce engine and vibration is easily transmitted to the tank. Also bear in mind that I'm using this brute on a 'plane designed for much less power, so after a few flights I noticed the engine/firewall mounting had gone a little 'soft' and some reinforcement was needed. This would also have contributed to the fuel foaming, despite the time I took to isolate the tank as much as possible with foam. Now, I have a Jett 12 oz 'Bubbless' tank and I can say with confidence the fuel foaming issues are fixed. It's a little more of a 'procedure' to refuel, but well worth the hassle in the knowledge that the engine is getting clear fuel throughout.

Bob, you may remember I posted some telemetry info a while ago and I hope to re-instate the eagle-tree setup in the 'Toni so I can again measure and log rpm, airspeed and cylinder head temp. For those who missed the post, go here:

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4404847/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm[/link]

So, the 'Toni will live a little longer but is probably past its best after a few 'mishaps' and 'reinforcements' which always add weight. I'm looking at the Sundowner 50 ARF or maybe the Kyosho Kelly F-1. I guess I'll have to put the telemetry in too, and report back!

Cheers, Andy