RCU Forums - View Single Post - Wing Loading
Thread: Wing Loading
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2002, 05:40 AM
Fighterpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing Loading

I know that wing loading (oz./sq. ft.) is a relative measurement in our warbirds. A 60 sized warbird might have an excessive wing loading at 35 oz. per sq. ft. however our 102 inch warbird would be a floater with a 35 oz. wing loading. We are currently flying three American Eagle Bearcats that have an 86 in. wing span and weigh approximately 33 lbs. They fly beautifully with about a 55 oz. per sq. ft. wing loading. I've just built an AT-6 Texan with a 102 in. span that calculates to have a 57 oz. per sq. ft. wing loading. How do we know when a wing loading is approaching a catastophic level before we fly? I know from experience that it is all relative to the size of the airplane, but does anyone out there know at which wing loading level does a certain size aircraft become a brick, unable to fly?
If I am correct, the wing loading is calculated by taking the weight of the plane in ounces, multiplying that by 144 (the number of square inches in one square foot) and dividing that by the wing area of the airplane expressed in inches.
How about some of you engineers out there, any advise.
The picture attached is of my new AT-6, ready this week for it's maiden flight. It has a 57 oz. wing loading.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5917_762.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	4394