RCU Forums - View Single Post - Wing Loading
Thread: Wing Loading
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2002, 11:10 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wing Loading

Paladin is correct on wing volume. When you get into an airplane of 80 inches or larger, wing loading is really no longer an acceptable consideration, yoiu need to look at wing volume. PAt McCurry had a great article in RC Report a while back that did a nice job of explaining wing volume. He states that if you take a 60 size warbird that weighs 10 pounds and calculate the wing loading, you will come up with a figure. If you take an 80 inch plane and calculate the wing loading, you will come up with another figure. Now, if you, theoretically, take all of the structure out of the 60 size wing and filled it with water, then do the same with the 80 inch bird; now if you were to pour that water from the 60 size wing into the 80 inch wing, you would find that it would not fill it up even 1/2 full. I thought this gave a good impression of wing volume. Bascially...weight is not as critical a factor with the growth in wing volume. And I think 33 pounds for a Bearcat this size is VERY acceptable. I know of an 86 inch Ziroli that weighs 41 pounds....flies fine.