RCU Forums - View Single Post - WACO YMF
Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 10:11 PM
skylarkmk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Ben,

That is a nice looking UMF you posted the link to. A couple of things stand out to me that are not quite right (at least to my eyes) or are at least different;

Cowl appears to be for a Jacobs type engine with equally spaced cowl bumps making it a YMF. Registration is a UMF but does not state what engine is in it. The "For Sale" notice states a 240 hp W-670 Radial but not the make. Continental does have a 240 hp W-670-M which would make it a "VMF" but as it appears in this case, retained the registration as a UMF with the engine change.

Strut fairings (boots) - look good.

Rear lift handle - loop style, the original Waco and the Waco YMF Classics have a retractable lift handle on both sides.

Main Landing Gear - lower ends of the center struts appear to be attached to the axel similar to a UPF-7, Upper ends appear to be recessed a little further than "normal" for a U/YMF.

Rear windshield - seems shorter and extends further down the side than on the Waco YMF Classics (side view picture).

Exhaust stack ends - appear to be longer and round in cross section, originals generally had rectangular or some times a split flaired end as seen on NC 14132 (pict #65 on the National Waco site).

Airlerons - Don't extend to the wing tips and are more "Barn door" type.

Wing tips - Don't appear to taper like the originals, almost seem to have an equal taper (like many models have ie; the COX ARF Waco).

With all the above being said (I know I am being nitpicky), it is still a very nice looking plane and has some neat touches (strut boots, loop lift handle and landing gear struts) making it a unique and handsome aircraft..