RCU Forums - View Single Post - WACO YMF
Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Mr. Lucky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: WacoJoe

This airplane is a homebuilt replica of a Waco UMF/YMF. The details that John pointed out give it away. The wing on this aircraft is actually a different airfoil than the "stock" Waco. The UMF/YMF used a Clark Y airfoil. John Hudek (the builder of this replica) used a NACA airfoil. (I don't remember the number). The engine is a "tank" engine, which is a Continental W-670 that was originally used in Sherman tanks. There are several differences in these engines, and most people who use them in experimental aircraft end up using a mix of aircraft and tank parts.

John did a magnificent job on this airplane! It is absolutely gorgeous in every detail. He built it himself, from scratch. (He don't need no steeenking kit!!!) It really is a wonderful airplane. But again, it is not a Waco per se. It is a Waco replica, and a gorgeous one at that!

Cheers!

Joe
WB #54

Very good Joe. Your information is correct. I contacted Barry Branin who is essentially the Grand Pubah of the F-5 Waco owner's. All other F-5 owners stay in contact through Barry. Barry's Waco is a 1935 YMF-5 NC15241. Here is a picture of the YMF at Boeing Field with the Dream Lifter in the background. Not the best picture but the one Barry sent me nonetheless. I sent the info on John Hudec's UMF-5, and Barry was somewhat aloof. He also pointed out the same discrepancies that both you and John noted. Barry is the owner of more than one Waco but when it comes to flying Barry spends about 99% of his time in the F-5. He is a died in the wool F-5 lover if there ever was one. Barry has gone out of his way to help me with my UMF-5 project. I know that one of the things that he loves the most about any of the Waco's is the Clark Y Airfoil. Not building the UMF replica with a Clark 5 Airfoil is somewhat puzzling considering that this is one of the best attributes of this design. Last month I was offered a title to a Waco 10/GXE. I asked Barry what he thought I should do. I do not remember his exact words but something like run fast in the opposite direction was in there somewhere. He is basically keeping me pointed in one direction and that is to locate a title of a UMF-5, or a YMF-5 depending on what I can manage to locate. He has convinced me to stay focused on that direction.

One of the main things that Barry and I both agreed on was the price that John was asking for the replica. $200K is top dollar right now for even a brand new authentic UMF-5. History tells the story on replica sales. Unfortunately they do not get the money that is costs to build them. My own personal opinion is this; a replica UMF-5 is better than NO Waco at all. If you can not find a title or a basket case to restore then you have to chose whether or not you want to make the extreme sacrifice of time that it takes to build a Waco and build a replica. If you take this path then build it EXACTLY to factory specifications. Fly it until you get to your dirt nap and then leave it to your kids, and hope they will get as much enjoyment out of the ship that you did. IF you are going to build a replica, the last thing you want to do is sell it. You are going to take a LOSS, so why build one if you are just going to turn around and sell it for less money than it cost to build. Only John Hudec knows why he is selling his ship.

The other side of the coin is this; John Hudec has obviously built his replica UMF-5 to a very high standard of quality. I applaud him for his efforts but think that he should consign himself to selling his project for allot less so that he can get the money and start another build. It I were him, I would be happy flying the UMF and simply enjoy what it is that all open cockpit biplane owners enjoy.

Barry told me last month just before strapping me in the front cockpit of his YMF. "This is exactly like riding a motorcycle at 5000 feet". Thank you Barry! You will go down in my book as one of the very few gentlemen who helped to change my life. Even if I never saw or talked with him again for the rest of my life, I would think about him almost everyday and consider him to be one of the most important people in my life. Since I can not repay him for his kindness then it is my duty to pass it forward. I hope that I can do as well as Barry.

It may be a Replica UMF-5 with a Tank engine and an incorrect set of wings but it is still a very beautiful accomplishment. One that any one of us would love to own.

Ben
Mr. Lucky
WB #74
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62474.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1026721