RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dynaflite 81" Spitfire
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 02:23 PM
AlphaWhisky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dynaflite 81" Spitfire

Hi Richard,

In reply to your post #5, I consciously kept weight to a minimum during construction. Although the fuselage is completely sheeted, I left the wing panels open. The model is completely covered with Coverite - both fuselage and wings. The fuselage covering was applied in panels and fixed with Balsaloc and then given a coat of clear dope after shrinking. I then gave it a couple of light coats of sanding sealer to close the weave.

The wing had similar treatment without the sanding sealer. Colour is watered-down water-based cheap (acrylic) housepaint applied with my cheap little plastic Badger air gun. I let all that dry for a couple of weeks and then gave the complete model a brushed-on coat of clear polyurethane.

All that was done about three years ago and apart from becoming a little tired, it is still going well - I had it out again this past weekend. In all its flights to date, it has never tipped on its nose once.

The retracts have failed a couple of times owning to airleaks - all fixed now - but the model lands easily wheels up on the grass on the air scoops with no damage at all.

Alan W
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82914.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1030929