RCU Forums - View Single Post - axe cp thread
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 03:31 PM
DRBo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: axe cp thread

My wife bought me an air hog for Christmas ( I had been a Navy Helo crewman a few years back), she did not know what she was getting me into. I bought my axe cp within 2 months. I have tried to be extremly cautious in learning to fly it. I have had to replace 1 swashplate, 8 blade grips, 1 set of main rotor blades & 1 tail rotor blade. I went back and got me an EFlight CX2 to practice nose in flight and it has proved to be a durable training device. I then purchased the Great Planes simulator and am now able to fly the axe CP sim through some inverted flight though not consistant yet on recovery. Here is the real issue, the helo is far more sensitive than the sim and appears to have something wrong with the tail rotor. I pull it up into a hover, as long as I keep the heading constant it does well. If I let the nose drift 45 degres or so to the left it will violently depart to the left and full right rudder will not stop it. On my last flight I was in a stable hover started into forward flight I had gone about 20 feet it snapped turned 540 degrees left as I dropped the collective it impacted tail in but nothing was broken. Any ideas on why it always wants to depart left (besides not having a heading gyro).

drbo