RCU Forums - View Single Post - Shark XV Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 09:06 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shark XV Build Thread

Thanks everyone. I've found one goof in the parts so far. I notched the center ribs for a 1/8" thick plywood dihedral brace. But, when I drew up the laser cut file I decided to put all the plywood pieces on one sheet of 3/16" ply to cut down on cost. So, the notches in the two inner ribs need to be 1/16" wider to accept the slightly thicker dihedral brace. No biggie. I also made a small design change by tapering the outer 2" of the ailerons. It looks better and it's supposed to be better aerodynamically, too (see photo).

The wing is done except for installing the aileron torque rods. I know, most people install them before gluing on the trailing edge stock. With symmetrical wings I find it a lot easier to get the TE stock in line with the center line of the airfoil (no up or down reflex) by gluing it on first. Then, I cut a trough in the TE to accept the torque rods and fill over it with balsa and epoxy. It's just as strong and doesn't take any more time than the traditional method. If you use two aileron servos then it makes no difference.

I will get crackin' on the fuse tomorrow.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11515.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1031328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59267.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1031329