RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 01:45 PM
bawls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: retransit

To further clarify the slobber line from the crankcase. If you connect your pressure tap from the muffler to the slobber line you will be pressurizing it. The purpose of the slobber line is to release blow-by gasses from the crankcase, created when the piston allows pressure to get by it during the power cycle. Any presurization of this line defeats its purpose. That tap and line gives the unburned lube oil a place to go since our 4-stroke Saitos (and a lot of others) do not have a dedicated sump as in automobile engines. As a matter of fact, auto engines have a form of slobber line and it is called a positive crankcase ventilation line. The EPA has not allowed this to vent to atmosphere since the 60's and hence is returned to the induction system to be re-burned. Remember the old crankcase vents? Nothing but a hogs hair cap on the crankcase vent line.

If you place a crimp on a straight exhaust pipe, this is a form of back pressure. This helps with pressurizing the tap for the fuel tank. On your car you may have a restrictive exhaust system which will also create back pressure. Did you ever hear 'glass pack mufflers on a by-gone hot rod? You can hear the result of back pressure when the individual takes his foot off the accelerator. The exhaust note pops as it decelerates.

The pressure tap on the muffler is just that, a pressure line. It allows you to plumb a line to the fuel tank to keep a slight pressure on the fluid in the tank for even-running with a set high speed needle. With a pressure line to the tank, I find very little reason to fiddle with the high speed needle here in Florida. I see some guys in my club forever toying with needle settings on their aircraft. They are the ones with the most engine problems and I just shake my head.

Bob

RCV and OS engines have suggested running the breather lines as long as you like....or even to the muffler if desired. My buddy has an RCV and was worried because the manual states 2-3" max tubing on the breather. I told him to send an email to RCV and find out what the consequences are for longer breather line. The email reply stated that longer lines are not a problem and they plumb their own planes with the breather going to the muffler. I told my friend to send another email asking why they are scaring everyone with their 2-3" recommendations in their manual.....not sure if he did, though...

Here is the actual email from RCV:

"Thank you for your query. There will be no problem in you using 6 inches of tubing. If you are looking to expel the waste from the breather outside the cowl, another option is to tap another nipple into the exhaust muffler and connect the tubing to this.

Hope this helps"

Here is the OS manual:

I am sure Saitos cannot be that much different

I have plumbed mine this way and cannot see any difference in performance. I do see a lot cleaner airplane.