RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flight Trimming Issue:
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Electriceddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flight Trimming Issue:

Hi Guys,

I finally got the chance to re-adjust the incidence settings. With all of the advice given which I absolutely appreciate, I decided that since my stab was slightly glued down and screwed down I would start there. I removed the rear bolt and tightened down the front bolt a bit more. I was able to raise the rear of the stab ever so slightly and fill it in with some medium zap. I re-measured the stab and I was able to get the stab almost to zero. I took it out and we did some test flights. Now the plane seems to only have about 1/32nd from 1/8th worth of up trim on the elevator and now the plane is flying much better. At full throttle it was running good. I dropped it down to a fast idle and the plane balloons within 1-2 seconds. It goes up about 50 feet within a few seconds and levels off. I understand this is a design characteristic that was designed into the plane by the designer to give more lift at slow speeds. (If the thread I read it in is correct)

Well the next weekend my son and I headed off to another race in Hadley Mass. in which I flew the plane to first place in 424 standard division. So all in all you can say I am a bit happier with the plane now. The plane does seem to have some very good slow flight/landing characteristicsas well. I feel the plane has good control without that feeling that its going to fall out of the sky while flying slow and making turns, as long as your gentle. All of the landings were nice and slow and easy on the planes airframe.

Now I hear that there is a new version of the Viper-500? Is this True? Does anyone know anything about this and what was done or changed? I would love to hear about it or pass on the thread link.

Thanks again to all of the advice.

Ed