RCU Forums - View Single Post - Shark XV Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 11:17 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shark XV Build Thread

ORIGINAL: Yuu

Okay, Question. In post #6, in all three pictures, you show a plywood "thing" which appears to be a dihedral brace and also holds the hard wood block for the landing gear. But the plywood piece has a 'slot' in the center which slides over the center rib[s] as shown. Wouldn't the dihedral brace be stronger if it didn't have the 'slot'?? I'm trying to learn here, hence the question.
Yes, it would be stronger without the slot. However, it is 3/16" aircraft ply and there is epoxy all around the joint where the slot fits around the center ribs. In addition, the center section will be wrapped with fiberglass cloth. On a plane this small and light (the wing is 3.7ozs) the wing joint is plenty strong. I have built .40 and .60 size models that use no dihedral braces at all (Super Kaos, UFO). The 1/2A SS does not have one, either.

This wing could be built without the brace to save a bit of weight and would still have all the strength it needs. The joint where the two wing halves mate together is probably the strongest part of the wing. I've never seen a wing separate at that joint if epoxied and wrapped with fg cloth. If it breaks, it will be out from the center section joint.

David