RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why do people say the top of the wing causes the plane to fly?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why do people say the top of the wing causes the plane to fly?

I used to sail shortboards a lot until a pinched nerve problem made me stop. When a strong puff hits you and you feather the sail, the torque that you experience gives you a first hand feeling for what pitching moment is.
Another windsurfing problem is something called "spinout", the first time it happened to me, I could have sworn that the rear fin just broke off, the letting go was that sudden and extreme. My thinking is that it is due to "cavitation", it's more correctly called aeration but everyone calls it cavitation. What happens is that the suction on the "top" of the fin starts sucking air spanwise down the fin and that destroys the vacuum there and the sudden increase in angle of attack due to the loss of lift just cinches the stall, just like a snap roll.

Very interesting, indeed!
That stall in water must be stronger than in air, I believe.

Some good animations about pressure profiles can be watched at:

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/...tributions.htm

Notice that the low pressure on the bottom surface for negative AOA is not as intense as on the top surface of the cambered airfoil.

“Flying may not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price.” Amelia Earhart (1897-1937)