RCU Forums - View Single Post - Austar 120" glass cessna 182 tow plane review
Old 10-01-2008, 08:08 AM
bignuts181

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Austar 120" glass cessna 182 tow plane review

Hey guys well not much exciting to tell tonight but I did manage to get the two ply formers hysoled into place today. Now as we all know a filet is far stronger than a hard edge or a bulging blob of glue and is the next best thing to a triangle. To achieve this I used an old patternmakers filleting ball dipped in Metho. This gives a nice consistent fillet and will help to avoid cracked joints further into the models life especially if your towing large models on the back! Secondly a fillet is also easier to glass over than a lump, depending on how ridgid the stucture is after the hysole cures will determin weather I lay some glass over this area as well to keep the structure nice and stiff.

While the hysol was drying I but joined some 5mm balsa the full width of the cowl to make a cowling baffle. This will force cooling air over and through the cooling fins and thus keep the temperatures to a far more acceptable level during summers in the middle of peak aerotowing season..... electrical and ignition sytems tend to stop working above 40 degrees C, so this should make a big diffrence.

cheers Rossco.