RCU Forums - View Single Post - Any advice for an Old Guy that wants to fly?
Old 10-06-2008, 04:53 AM
jackclarke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any advice for an Old Guy that wants to fly?

Hi Jerry - 15 years your senior - my magnifying hood nearly fell off and false teeth fell out laughing so hard from your posting. Welcome aboard!! I learned from the ground up - actually it was more like the ground down and like everyone saying - crashing is part of the learning unless you have reflexes like a cat and can write your name on rice grains. Simulator wise - haven't used or seen the Helipro simulator - but I can attest the Phoenix simulator being worth its weight in broken helicopters and in my book - highly recommended. Not only in the simulation but the visual effects. You swear you are out at the park flying instead of a graphic simulation. Opinions differ as to best helicopter to learn on and your mileage may vary - it's hard to beat a coaxial helicopter for learning the basic reflexes and a lot of fun as well. Not nearly as intimidating as the tail rotors - a lot more forgiving - and a LOT more stable. Coaxials are easy to fly after you learn. Tail rotors are easy to crash after you learn. Upgrade the fixed blades on the Blade-CX2 and they are practically indestructible.

Tail-rotor-wise my first attempt was with a Belt-CP. Couldn't fly it for more than 10 seconds at a time but sure got good at repairing. Hands a bit shakey on the joysticks but with the help of a good programmable transmitter like the Futaba and hours on the simulator it was flyable. From there the choices narrowed down to another hobby or another heli. I chose the T-rex450SE. Didn't help with the pilot error but dramatically reduced the stability problems built into the Belt. One thing almost everyone agrees with - the hobby is seriously addictive and once you start spinning it is near impossible to quit. Recommend leaving your Black-hawk in the box and practice on the simulator until you can hover for minutes instead of seconds. Keep the nose pointed forward (away from you) until it becomes automatic. Be patient - learn small steps - try not to be in a hurry. Reward yourself with flying the coaxial. Get some help with your Black-hawk. Set-up and tracking is critical and CCPM is not an overnight learn. The smallest error makes them almost impossible to fly. All them itty-bitty parts break and bend and snap like they made of rice crackers when they spinning at 2500 RPM. Heli's have a tendency of heading to the nearest obstacle in less time than you can say oooooooh sh__ !!! - and the cost of replacement parts can easily exceed the cost of the heli after a few "just one more time and I'll get it right - crashes".

There is an amazing amount of talent and proficiency flying with you in these forums - don't hesistate to ask for help. - we all started from the same place - picking up the pieces. Good luck and great flying!!

Captain_Jack
author
"Taking Off With RC Helicopters - FAQ's 101"