RCU Forums - View Single Post - Vectorflight 540
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2003, 02:39 PM
Steve Campbell2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vectorflight 540

David,

I am watching this thread with great interest, as this firm (either the Edge 540 or Extra in 66" trim) is one of three "finalists" I'm considering for my next project.

If I understand correctly, the belly pan must be removed/replaced each time the wings are attached/detached?

If so, is there enough hardwood in the area designated for the screws to support brass threaded inserts? You've seen these; they take 4-40 or 6-32 or whatever hex bolts. MUCH more durable than wood screws.

These Vector models look very good, but it has been my observation that little things like this can make or break the overall experience. Another thing; judging from the kit photos on the web site, the belly pan and wheel pants appear to be vacuum-formed. That's a BIG red flag to me personally...

And what's with this "polycarbonate" cowl? I'm hoping it is not just another buzzwoord for that horrible, brittle, so-called "ABS" that most inexpensive ARF cowls are made from. I already realize that the pretty scheme in the web pix are NOT paint, but decals that I imagine will be a chore to get on properly. Well, that's why its called "modeling", but I'm finding you have read this site closely to get the full picture.

So, what is the cowl like, compared to glass?

If I seem excessively nit-picky, its because I am. I have built over two dozen different ARFs, ranging from the outstanding to the execrable, and a couple of the latest ones (SIG SE, Kangke CAP Sport) have spoiled me, they were so good; as a result, I don't mind paying extra for a first class product. Of course, if I can get that overall level of quality for less, then great.

But these Vector models just seem a little bit too good to be true. Pardon my paranoia, but whatever I choose will end up being my main "flyer", so I want it to be right.

Thanks for your insight.

Steve