RCU Forums - View Single Post - Vectorflight 540
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2003, 03:26 PM
David Cutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vectorflight 540

Hi Steve,

My observations about the quality of the Vector Edge:-

The initial impression, looking at the glue and wood quality is excellent. They have actually glued it with small fillets around the skin/former joints, which has saved me a job, as I always do that when I get an ARF!

I agree about using brass inserts. I always do that for cowls as it not only removes any worry about durability (as a metal to metal contact is far superior) but also looks better. I plan to do the same with the belly pan on the Edge, and it looks like there is enough meat there to do it.

The cowl is indeed plastic, but looks like it's the soft polythene type material, which is much more durable, as it probably won't crack. I still plan to lay a CA fiberglass layer around the bolt holes though. The paint is excellent , although it was obviously sent out in a hurry, as I had to immediately take it out of the packaging, and let it set hard in free air.

One feature I really like is a general treatment of their design philosophy. They have obviously put a lot of thought into the structural design. One example of this is that the wings are mounted using a full-width pair of very strong ply joiners. They have to be epoxied in, (in each wing half, with a wing nut connection in the middle) and actually glue to the wing skin as well as the center. The strength is, of course, in the skin and they have picked up on this. Their construction method for the wing is amazingly strong, and is a perfect airfoil shape.!

As a general statement, they have obviously gone for good strength and engineering design over prettiness. By that I mean the covering is excellent, with no wrinkles, but there is, for example a large overlap of two colors under the wing, to improve the joint, at the slight expense of looks.

I personally like that philosophy a lot, as everything we make is a compromise, and to compromise towards strength and away from prettiness is the right way to go in my book.

There is one thing I really like . . Have you tried corresponding with them? They are first rate at customer service, and I definitely get the impression that, once you buy one, they are very keen to help you get the best out of it.

For as little as they charge for their products, that's almost a miracle these days!

Put it this way, I doubt if you will get a better deal than what you receive for what it costs you!

More to come when I start to build it!

-David C.