RCU Forums - View Single Post - Vectorflight 540
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Calflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vectorflight Edge 540 flight report

Just had first early morning flights with the Edge. Will try to remember exactly, I am too excited.

CG was about at the aft end of range. I wanted to add about 4 oz in front but decided against it. Only addition I have done is to add tail wire braces. Just gives it the extra assurance.

Used an FX 91. Set all trims to neutral, added 2 notches of right aileron. Ground handling was trouble free, and take off run smooth and straight with tail wheel lifting in about 15 ft.
Opened throttle slowly to about 80 %. Let it gain speed for about a 100 ft and slight up elevator apliocation lifted the airplane effortlessly. Noticed airplane was very quick to respond and immediately went to reduced rates on elevator and aileron.
Pulled up in a left hand, airplane was flying rock steady, slight nose up and fast gaining height. Leveled it off at about 100 ft and when directly in front applied up elevator and opened throttle and whao, it shot straight up almost out of sight. Very very quick change in direction! Kept pointing straigt up till I could barely see it. This aiplane goes straight where you want it to , no questions asked.

Next pass tried rolling. Very fast roll rate, truly axial, no correction whatsoever to keep it rolling without losing altitude. Left it inverted and did not touch the trim and it just kept going with hardly any loss of altitude. Rolling is so precise it tempts you to do 8 point rolls.

Next tried basic loops. Straight and true execution, from very large to tight.

A few more laps, now getting the hang of the airplane and beginning to enjoy the responsive control after initially being a bit nervous to use too much. To say the least, this airplane is more responsive than I have flown in some time! Turns on a dime and just goes like an arrow where you point it. Did not try any advanced aerobatics today as I am just trying to adjust to the airplane skill level.

Made a fast low pass at about 15 ft. No sign of any flutter. Wings are cutting smoothly and airplane is flying fast and straight without any tendency to go up or down. I didnt dare touch elevator in case I point it to the big one! Looks very impressive!

Tried slow flight. This is the most incredible part. The airplane slows a lot, even in no head wind this morning. Just kept reducing power and adding elevator until the airplane was flying at about 40 degrees angle, but still responsive to turning where you want to. The airplane would just hang in there without any fuss.

To bring the plane down you have to set it up in correctly with nose down attitude. Come time for landing, reduced throttle, final approach over left shoulder. Very gentle, no problem tracking, or any hint of stall, although I think I had it slowed down considerably. Greased the first landing! Rolled in easy.

It looks like this aiplane is one of the most exciting I have flown. It is fun and easy to just fly around as long as you are on reduced rates, but turn on the heat and it becomes a precision flying machine ready to do whatever you want it to do without hesitation or bad habits. You just have to keep on top of this awesome bird and the experience becomes very exhilarating. Wow!!! I think I will just relax today.