RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/4 scale Pfalz DXV
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Sethhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/4 scale Pfalz DXV

Thanks for the comments guys. It's really a big help to have "real time design reviews"!! Erich, I think you proposed a solution to a problem I hadn't thought about, but will. Attached is a sketch of the design. I was planning to hard mount the wings to the 10-32 threaded ends of the struts. I haven't had problems before with wire struts being too stiff, but maybe I was lucky (and I haven't used 3/16 before). I'm a bit concerned if I soften the mount, I'll introduce low frequency movement of the wing. I'm generally concerned about the overall flexibility of the design because neither of the wings is tied directly into the fuselage. Everything's kind of floating, and there's no rigging wires. Just hugely thick cantilever wings, 1 bay N struts, and yes Don, more struts than I can keep straight around the fuselage! On the plus side, the wing panels will be attached to the center sections with tubes, which I learned with my Junkers J10 are VERY forgiving when the air gets hard quick! I was, however, thinking of putting some soft washer between the collar and blocks inside the fuselage, to keep the struts pulled-in tight agains the fuse. I also like your idea because I could open up the holes in the wing plate, use a soft pad between the strut and plate, and use the play to fine tune wing position before locking down the nuts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88008.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1054229