RCU Forums - View Single Post - To Fiberglass or not to Fiberglass?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 07:23 AM
eroc144
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: To Fiberglass or not to Fiberglass?

ORIGINAL: dansdeals3489
I am buying the TF Cessna 182 kit and was wondering how hard and time consuming it would be to fiberglass it. I have never fiberglassed anything, but can paint very well. I would rather paint it than use monocoat. I want to achieve the best result for a beginer builder without having to invest a tremondous amount of time. I know I will devote a lot of time to this project, but like I said I want to achieve the best possible results in covering it.
Fiberglass is a superb base for a painted finish and it's one of my favorite finishing methods. Applying the fiberglass itself is easy and there are a variety of methods from which you can choose, but applying the fiberglass is only the first step in getting a smooth, paintable finish. After applying the fiberglass you have to sand it smooth, apply primer to fill the weave, sand, putty any low spots, sand, apply final primer coat, sand. Only then are you ready to think about painting.

If you skip or scrimp on any of the steps the final result will suffer. If the above sounds like a lot of work, then a colored covering film or fabric might be a better choice.

EG