RCU Forums - View Single Post - OS 55AX
Thread: OS 55AX
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 10:16 AM
ameyam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS 55AX

Dear Bax,

that is the most scientific explainarion that anyone could give me so far. And I think it may be correct. On closer examination, I found rubbing marks on the crank pin and there is absolutely no sign of the crankside bush anywher in the case. Also, the remnants of the connrod seem to be out of alognment with the crankpin suggesting twisting.

Just a couple of things I would like to understand: Did cleaning with thinner contribute to the damage? If so what do you recommend for external and internal cleaning. Note that the crockpot/antifreeze method that some are suggesting is not feasible since it is difficult to get antifreeze. Should I simply clean with methanol next time? Last time I also rinsed wither water (after cleaning), dried iff the water with hot compressed air, and then lubricated thoroughly with oil.

Secondly what care should I take at the end of the day of flying (when not flying for atleast the next week). I usually afterburn (remove all fuel by running till it cuts off) and then put in a few drops of "singer oil" which is a light machine lubricant (It is actually quite good and is used to lubricate everything from lathes to automobiles in light duty and high speed) and give a few flicks. Do you suggest leaving residual fuel in the crank? Anything else? (Actually most people on field take less care than me and few actualy afterburn)

Finally, how to clear burnt or baked varnish off the head externally after flying?. Should I simply clean the same off with some soap water and a small unused toothbrush (Will keep the carb closed at the time)?

Ameyam