RCU Forums - View Single Post - Control rod question
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 08:17 AM
bigal126
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control rod question

I am building my first RC plane. It's a midstar. It's going great. Right now I am getting ready to install the servos and the control rods for the rudder and elevator. I read on another thread that a suggestion would be: "Don't use the nylon pushrods. Replace them with one piece metal pushrods so you don't have to deal with changes in temperature affecting your trim settings."

Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean route a metal rod only from the servo to the control horn? No plastic tubing? I am familiar with that because I used to build control line planes back in the 70's, but never RC. I think that could be done with this plane beacause it's a straight shot from the servo to where the control rod exits the fuselage. One small bend in the wire is all that will be required.

Is that a good idea? If it is, then what diameter control rod would you use? I see 4-40 and 2-56 sizes are available.

If it is not, and the plastic tubing must be used, are the sig supplied ones adequate, or should they be upgraded. What would be a good upgrade?

Any advise is appreciated. This is all totally new to me.