RCU Forums - View Single Post - First 3D Plane (servo help)
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 05:06 PM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First 3D Plane (servo help)

ORIGINAL: Blazer1

I have been told that Hitec 475BB on 6 volts is a pretty good cheap servo. I am planning a .60 size 3D plane build and will be using a mix of Hitec 425BB and 475BB powered by a nimh 1450 @ 6V battery pack. These servos can be found for less than $15.00 each. If you want to step up to a little faster and more power Futaba 3010 and JR 821's are fairly strong and fast but around $30.00 a piece.
The Hitec 475BB is a good servo on 6V but my worry would be the vibration levels that a Saito 100 can produce. The 475 uses Karbonite gears and although they're very strong, they're also very brittle and don't like shock loads or high levels of vibration.

I think on anything with a Saito 100 in it and 3D throws you really should be thinking metal gears, at least for the tail.

Forget the Futaba 3010s if you want any kind of precision. They have *huge* amounts of slop in the output shaft and gear-mesh. I used them on a Saito-100 powered Mojo 3D profile and my ailerons ended up with 3/8" slop either side of neutral -and that's with ball-joints, not just regular clevises.

There are lots of quite affordable mid/hi torque metal-geared servos on the market now and even some of the newer digitals are quite reasonably priced. However, there are also a lot of lemons.

I've reviewed a lot of them and will be publishing my results at RCModelReviews as soon as I've cleared my plate of work (you know, the kind that pays the rent) :-)