RCU Forums - View Single Post - Spark ignition on YS170 DZ
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 12:30 AM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spark ignition on YS170 DZ

We're getting alittle off track but 32:1 in my DA 100 makes a GIGANTIC difference in power. Lots more mess but if you wax the plane it wipes off easy.

I like CH ignitions. They cost a little more than the cheap ones but they are proven rock solid. I had 3 $175 DA ignitions fail on me this summer. Not good. One cost me a very expensive 40%er (admittedly some pilot error and bad luck was also involved.) The others just resulted in reminding me I need to work out and eat right after my heart got going (both were greaser landings.)

I had a lot of troubles learning my YS170 this season. I kinda got the hang of it after 300 flights or so but even with a delay start glow driver I had a lot of kickbacks. When it works its like a swiss watch with GOBS of horsepower.

On my Comp-Arf Integral I am using a 2300 A123 and a heavy Aluminum spinner and I could still (just) make FAI weight with an ignition system (I might need a lighter spinner and to look to save and ounce or two here and there.) But I am still some years away from flying FAI. I will fly Masters for next season but I will mostly be flying Pattern just for the practice since it is the hardest thing. I find it makes my IMAC flying seem not so difficult. An ignition Alky system should make a fantastic setup for a 2M plane that I can fly every day (keep it in the car and stop by the field for an hour whenever I can.)