RCU Forums - View Single Post - Houston - Are you there ?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 09:23 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Houston - Are you there ?

Gary,

The report of my demise is much pre-mature (like my love life-but that's another story...) :-)

UTMB has 12,000 employees and will be laying off 3,800. That's a significant chunk, no matter how you slice it. What makes it all better is that the politicians stopped the layoffs until after the elections because it would affect the outcome. That makes it just in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas. And the cherry for this rotten sundae? Oh, yeah -most of these people lost their homes during the storm.

There is a bright side though - most being laid off are in the medical field and there's still a high demand for their services locally. Business-wise this HAS to be done - I just wish they would not have played with people's lives for the sake of politics.

I feel pretty safe and already have leads/offers "just in case you need a job" - which makes you feel pretty good.

Puts a damper in my Jet Life, however. I've been working quite a bit, which pushes weekday business over to the weekend, so "No flyin' fo you!" for a L-O-N-G time. I feel like my son getting grounded from his toys...