RCU Forums - View Single Post - Baby 260 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Han2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Baby 260 Build Thread

ORIGINAL: rcmaster12

As far as the Perry pumps go, should I use the one that uses the engines oscilations to operate or the one that uses a pressure fitting tapped into the engines crank case?
thanks again for all the comments

I've used both styles and in my personal experience with them I really haven't noticed a difference between the two performance wise, they are both great pumps. The regulating pump does need a pressure source though necessitating that the crankcase be drilled and tapped with treads. I ultimately ended up sticking with the oscillating pump version because there doesn't seem to be any difference in performance and it is an enclosed system where the regulating pump can potentially get oil and debrie in it from the tap line. Just my personal reasoning, although I've never had any issues with the regulating pump on an O.S. 1.60 FX. I also personally feel that there is less potential for mishaps using the oscillating pump as drilling holes and taps can be messed up (I'm also not fond of having holes in my crankcases) and threads can inadvertantly end up getting stripped as well. Just my two sense...

If you do end up choosing the oscillation pump remember that you will need to order or find two longer crankcase bolts as the stock ones will not be long enough. At a local hardware store I found bolts that were a half inch longer then stock with four nuts. I screwed the bolts in tight, tightened the first set of nuts down onto the crankcase cover, and then tightened the second set of nuts down onto the pump flange. Fairly simple. One other side note, if you've never used a perry pump before remember to initially prime your fuel lines (using either pump) before attempting to start your engine or you'll be spinning that prop for a while. After that, after each refueling one flip and you're on your way.