RCU Forums - View Single Post - Warning: .26 = DO not buy!!
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2003, 10:17 PM
ridethelightnin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning: .26 = DO not buy!!

I just wanted to give a review of the .26 engine that I purchased for my Ofna Titan.

Now let me first start off by saying that I am not new to RC cars/planes and this has not been my first engine that I have tuned.

I was warned by others at the local race track that I frequent, when I was talking about purchasing a Picco .26, but I thought maybe the people who were tuning these engines did not understand what they were doing.

I started the breakin process and everything went relatively smooth. Actually, the Picco was easier to break in, at first, than my Rody C5 or even .25 Force.

However, when breaking in the engine, I did notice that I really had to keep fattening (richen) the engine because it seemed to want to run hot.

After the initial breakin process was complete, (6 tanks @ 250cc) I took the Titan to the track to get a few test laps in. The engine started with ease and idled fine but when I set the truck on the ground and I would move off idle to go foward the engine would sputter and kill. Because of this I continued to try and lean out the high speed needle HSN and the LSN 1/8 turn just enough to I could get the truck to move. I wanted to keep the engine on the rich side to keep the temps down.

I then found if I increased the RPM by using the trim adjustment on the radio that this worked the best, however, I then found that my problem was any time that I was mid throttle or farther open and when quickly close the throttle position (idle) the engine would kill.

I played with the both the HSN and LSN for a few hours and in this time I would also go back to the factory recommended settings for breakin to get my bearings straight.

To make a very long and frustrating story short, I finally was able to half-arse the engine and get it to run by upping the idle really high and leaning the heck out of the motor. By doing this I was able to get a couple of laps on the track without it stalling but the engine had no power and I was easily getting passed by others whereas I should have had a heck of a lot more power than I did. My ported .25 force had much more power. Unless I leaned the engine out it sputtered so bad I would have to make a u-turn on the track and come in so I could lean it out which then I had temp issues. Now I took it easy the first tank or two on the track cause I was still in the breakin stage but the Titan has a 250cc tank so after about 8 tanks I was ready to do some laps of varying speed.

I also forgot to mention that after I was finished breaking in the engine at idle, I sealed up the engine because I thought I had an airleak causing it to run rich. This didn't seem to help because the engine would still increase/decrease at rpm at idle.

At first ,I thought that maybe I had a lemon but after talking to other that own this engine they too have or had similiar problems. They fixed the issue by selling their engine or returning it.

Anways, I am sorry for the length of this post but I just wanted to share my experience with any of you that are/were considering getting this engine. I hope you take my advice and stay away from this engine until these issues have been resolved by the mfger.