RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/200 Sovremenny Class RTR Upgrade and Modifications
Old 11-19-2008, 07:34 AM
caragan1970

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/200 Sovremenny Class RTR Upgrade and Modifications

Hi James,

The Kiev will naturally be unbalance because the deck is asymmetrical with the island superstructure being the heavy part,
In the Sovremmenny it is easier to balance because port and starboard sides are identical thus any balancing
is mainly done at the middle section. Small tuning weights are added to the bow or stern as needed.

For the Kiev, you have to counter balance the weight of the superstructure. Also remember the location of the planes on the
deck adds to balancing problems. So careful work is needed. Also make sure the props turn counter rotation against each other
and not on the same direction.

The Trumpeter Sovremenny is superb in detail and there is a PhotoEche Brass fittings available for it from White Ensign Models
Quite pricy kit but if you are going to make it a static model it is well worth it. I contemplated on buying that after I built this
sovremenny but decided not to because I like my ships to run RC.

You don't need a debonder, the glue is similar to a glue gun cartridge, it is really not that hard to remove. The way the hull edges are
built is it has two ridges, the inner ridge holds the deck in place and is sealed from there.

The weather in Bahrain is also getting colder but only (20-22 deg C) that our normal winter start here.

Goodluck in your project, post some pictures so we can see its development.

Best regards

Patrick C.