RCU Forums - View Single Post - How does the economic situation affect the hobby?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:45 AM
DahlELama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How does the economic situation affect the hobby?

They are her hobbies and sanity relief valve
Which is exactly why even when the economy is down... we will still find ways to do our R/C hobbies. When golfing was my big focus, I'd golf all the time and when times got tight for me, I still golfed, I just didnt golf at courses that were so expensive. Same thing when I was riding dirtbikes alot (before we had the kids). At that time dirtbikes were my outlet... not just riding but tuning, tweaking, trying different parts and gear. There were times when I had to slow down on that, but I didnt give it up. I just rode at locations closer to home and didnt upgrade as often. Our hobbies are our diversions from the realities and responsibilities of life. Many of us hard core guys may back down some from our R/C spend but few of us will give it up completely unless your financial situation absolutely demands it. On the other side, when the economy is tough, people do less big expenses like new cars, motorcycles and expensive vacations. It is in these times when you will see first timers enter the R/C scene as your entry level Traxxas, HPI RTR rigs etc are less expensive than the big dollar diversions and provide a lot of value that can be a relatively inexpensive activity for the entire family. Keep an eye on those Hobby shops that don't go under during down turns. They are typically the ones who have been around a longer or have the best staff, customer service and selection of RTR/RTF's and all the parts to support them.