RCU Forums - View Single Post - Venom-Racing GPV-1 motorcycle
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Super_Dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Venom-Racing GPV-1 motorcycle

ORIGINAL: Mini_Me
So the spring thing is like a spring then for the steering mechanism? While that tube on the opposite side acts like a dampener tube? Can any one explain the theory behind why a bike needs a damper for the steering? Again, I'm new to this.
I haven't driven the GPV-1 yet but I can atleast tell you how steering works on a motorcycle.

Motorcycles don't work on the normal left and right steering that cars do. Bikes need to counter steer to turn meaning to make a right turn you litterally just nudge the handlebars to the LEFT. After the bike is leaned into the corner you let off any pressure from the handlebars (in this case the servo) and it maintains the lean angle that you left it at. The spring on that linkage is there so you only nudge the wheel left or right to give it a smooth gental feel. Without that spring if the front tire turns full left the bike will snap right and fall over instantly. If you think that the steering is to sensitive you can try putting softer springs on the linkage and that should make it easier to drive. If they are to soft then it probably wont turn out of a corner though.

Remember the more you turn the transmitter wheel right the more the bike is going to lean right. Once you're at the lean angle that you want you need to hold the wheel there or maybe even let off the steering a little bit depending on how the bike is set up.