RCU Forums - View Single Post - elevon...what the??
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2003, 03:25 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default elevon...what the??

linclog no harm no foul

Originally posted by linclogs
Boy, I'm sure glad some of the planes I'm flying don't realize they're being flown with old and impractical equipment! They might revolt and refuse to fly!
. [/B]

Actually I too find great pleasure in doing just that for relaxation. In recent years I have built a replica of my first RC airplane an Airco Aero 9 powered with the original Torp .09 with a kit built Babcock tone/escapement system for rudder only. However the original Babcock radio and escapment only serve to hide the Hitec 555 Rx and a Hs-80 (67 volt dry cells are not to common any more) to operate the rudder through its torque rod. That first flight in 57 where everything actually worked for a few commands before the airplane reverted back to 'free flight' after almost a year of attempts is still vivid in my mind. Pushing that button and watching the airplane turn right then letting go and it straightened out was indeed like a magic elixor and it actually worked for three or four commands before heading off on its own with one excited kid in chase. So excited in fact at a dead run when I reached it on landing that I stumbled and fell on it destroying the airframe. But Hey it didn,t matter I had 'remotely controled'.

Here is a little twist on how modern electronics has saved the day for me . On my retirement eight or nine years ago I decided that I was going get involved in In RC pylon, something I had never seemed to get around to and return to some controlline flying. This was wonderful untill about a year ago when I was introduced to this wheelchair, well of course these two activities requireing you to fly around yourself came to a halt.

Not two long ago I discovered the Bill Young electronic Ukie system that will control a throttle and two other servos for whatever all through digitized signals sent through the controllines. With the help of some increditable friends and this system I was able to start flying Ukie agine and was actually able because of that to start flying RC pylon agine. Ain,t technology great. .

Sorry for rambling on
John