RCU Forums - View Single Post - CA hinges came loose.
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 07:54 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: CA hinges came loose.

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: millertym2000

yes, I put the hinges in the aileron and the TE dry, then used ultra thin CA. I used 6 to 8 drops on each. Was that to much?

its kinda hard to insert the dry hinge evenly into the ail, and TE especially if there are several hinges....... i glue one side at a time with thin ca, i usually use those nice thin CA applicator tips hobbico makes ...... if a ca hinge fails on me, they usually fail at the the hinge flex point, i havent had one come loose in a looong time

Same here...
I fold the hinge in half, to put a mild (not too hard ) crease in them...that marks the centerline...then insert into the control surface first, then glue w/ 5-6 drops of thin CA....and let it set for a while.

Prep of the hinge slot is important...I use my #11 X-Acto blade to ensure the slot is deep and wide enough. Then trim a sliver of covering away from ea. side of the slot...then drill w/ a 1/16" or 5/64" (depending on thickness of the surface ) drill right in the center of the slot, about 1/4 to 3/8" deep so the CA will wick in better...(another pass w/ the #11 blade after drilling the hole is usually required )

As mentioned in a previous post though, you don't want to enlarge the slot too much...the hinge needs to be in full contact w/ the wood.

After the hinges are glued into the surface(s ) I flex them to exercise 'em and test flexability. Then I glue them into the wing/stab. etc.

I also keep an old T shirt and a can of Acetone close by for clean-up if/when necessary.