RCU Forums - View Single Post - Power Expander or not -that's the question
Old 12-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power Expander or not -that's the question

ORIGINAL: flatspinjim

With my setup I'm only going through one connecter for each servo. I have 2 A123's, each going into a 30 amp smartfly switch with a Deans connecter. There are 2 leads coming out of each switch so I have 4 leads going into the reciever. Each servo has it's own port coming out of the reciever.
I'm only trying to help here, so don't get mad at me.
You might want to check with Smart fly on the rating of those switches. If they are the ones I think they are, the last time I checked, I was told they were rated at 5 amps.
Besides, if it has 2 standard connectors coming out of it, they are rated at 3 amps each. That gives you 6 amps total, so it doesn't really matter if the switch can handle 100 amps, the standard connectors are your weak point.

You have 4 standard connectors going into your rx feeding how many servos? If you only have 4 servos, then you only have one connector per servo, and you have 3 amps per servo. If you have 8 servos, then you are feeding 2 servos with each connector (4 connectors going into rx). See what I mean now? With 8 servos, you have 1.5 amps per servo. This may be fine. It's up to you.

This is why I never use standard connectors anywhere between the battery and the rx / Power Expander. When I say I never have more than one servo downline of any single standard connector, this includes the input side of the rx as well as the output side of the rx.

It's up to you to decide how much current flow you want to provide.

Jim