RCU Forums - View Single Post - Crazy Bulldog project?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:07 AM
bonedaddy41
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy Bulldog project?

I have started a project that might be interesting. I have a BME Aircraft (now PAU) 27% Pitts Challenger that I flew for quite a while with an Evolution 58GX ... and really enjoyed the plane. I kept ripping the servo plates out of the wings and decided to semi-retire the plane when I bought my Aerotech Pitts Python – so I moved engine and servos to the Python and put the Challenger in storage for the time being. My plan was to strengthen the areas that I knew were weak in the Challenger, put a nice covering job on it, and then buy all new equipment for it.

Now the project – For something a little different – and easier to see - I decided to recover it in Jim Leroy’s yellow and black Bulldog scheme using graphics from Grafix4Planes. Once I got the original covering off, I discovered the fuselage is built like a tank. Now things have started going through my head that kind of scare me I have an Evolution 45GX (not GX2) lying in the garage … and low-and-behold … the original 45GX and 58GX have the same mounting dimensions INCLUDING backplate spacing. Now for the tricky part – I also have a NIB Evolution canister system for the 45GX (EVO30041407). I am thinking seriously about trying to modify the internal structure of the fuse to allow room for a canister. I am not against a few bolt-in CF support features.

In its original flying form with the 58GX swinging a 24x8 NX at 6400, the Challenger weighed a hefty 19 pounds. However, the power of the 58 and the flying capabilities of the Challenger made if feel like an overpowered 15 pounder I will be trimming about a pound off by going from the 58 to 45 … but adding some of that back with the canister setup.

So … my questions are:

1. Let’s say I am REAL lucky and can get this setup to weigh in at 18 pounds. Will the 45GX on a can have enough power to keep my interest? (Pe, I respect your opinion here)

2. Has anybody attempted to put a canister setup in a 50cc biplane?

My other option is to simply trim as much weight as I can and buy another 58 … but … I just bought a new house so it will be a while before I can afford another 58 []
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33920.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1087074