RCU Forums - View Single Post - Power Expander or not -that's the question
Old 12-10-2008, 02:21 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Power Expander or not -that's the question

ORIGINAL: Hammbone

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

Too bad you can't just swap in the Power Expander without changing the Y's and everything else. That way you'd have a true comparo.
????????????? A Power Expander does not work miracles. You can use a Power Expander and still have limited current flow. It's comments like this that make me feel like I have to keep repeating myself. If you have any one part of your system that limits current flow, then you have limited current flow (even with a Power Expander). A Power Expander in and of itself does not improve current flow if you still have components in your system (like "Y"s, small diameter wire, and standard plugs) that are going to limit the current flow.

Think of it like water going through pipes. If you have 4" diameter pipe running 30', but have one small section that is reduced down to 1/2" diameter, you are only going to get as much water as will flow through the 1/2" pipe out the other end. If you had 4" pipe the whole way, you'd get much more water through the pipes. Putting in a section of 6" pipe will not improve your flow if you still have the section of 1/2" pipe inline somewhere.

If he just put in the Power Expander without changing out the other potential current flow bottlenecks in his system, it wouldn't tell us anything. The way he is doing it will tell us something. He should feel a difference in performance with the new set up. His servos should be stronger with the new set up.

When I started using the A123's / Power Expander set up, I noticed a definite improvenment in both the speed and power of my servos, but I can't say for sure that it was due completely to better current flow, it's probably due to the higher voltage (6.6v) of the A123 batteries without a reg. I used to use Li Ion batteries with a 6v reg.

Jim
Read the first paragraph of your response. Why waste money on a power expander? I posted a long time ago about cutting connectors off of servos, hardwiring/soldering them together, and also taking the battery power wires and tapping them directly into your servo wires before they enter the reciever. Power goes right to your servos, reciever and you've also eliminated at least one connector/failure/amp reducer. Keep wasting your money and maybe someday you'll wake up and smell the coffee.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31561.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1087205