RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lipo newbie please help
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 09:36 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lipo newbie please help

ORIGINAL: brett65

I am getting a parkzone corsair and blade cx2 next week, and I need some knowledge about the lipo batteries. I want to get an extra battery for each, but get a less expensive brand, and a decent charger for them. Thanks!

What doe the C rating mean?

Do they have to be discharged?

Is fast charging bad for them when done repeatedly?

Is the turnigy accucycle6 a good charger? (recommendations welcome)

Are zippy flightpacks any good cause they sure are cheap?
"C" is the discharge/charge rate of the battery

1C is approximately what the battery is rated at for 1 hour of discharge... e.g. a 2800mAh battery will discharge at 1C ( or 2.8 Ams ) in 1 hour though this is usually less.

A battery of this size capable of 20C will discharge at 20 times this rate or 46Amps, but in 1/20th of an hour, so to speak.

Re: Discharged?

Eh when you use them.

I think you are referring to recycling charge cycles, which for LiPo's the answer is no.

Re: Fast

It depends upon what rate.

If you charge the battery at 1C it will charge up in an hour w/o hurting it.

What that 1C rate is, is dependant upon the battery capacity...

So a 2100mAh battery would be charged at 2.1Amps to get a 1C charge.

A computer controlled charger is the best way to go with LiPo's to assure full and proper charges.

Re: Charge

I haven't tried that one, but I favor the TH Accucyle charger

Re: Zippies

As "Tony the Tiger" says: They are GREEEEAAAT!

I have a dozen or so of them.

All produce slightly better than the stated output and hold up well.

A note on LiPo's.

LiPo's have a FINITE lifespan.

They typically can last over 100 discharge/recharge cycles but by around 100 cycles they start dropping in capacity.

It is possible to hit 300+ cycles with them if you keep the current load on them fairly light and balance them periodically.

Any time the packs get very warm to hot, you are reducing their lifespans significantly.

View LiPo's as "fuel" that you purchase up front, in that they are still a finite resource, and they are not the renewable resource some people make them out to be.

Electrics are wonderful, but spending a few extra bucks on a good balancer, charger, etc. goes a long way to maximizing what you get out of them.

Care and feed your LiPo's properly and they will be good to you.

And don't forget that you also - NEED - a good Watt meter!

Without it you will not be able to tell if something is amiss with your EP configuration.