RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 03:02 PM
chashint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Hello fellows, I have been following another thread about a Saito 125 under performing and would like to know what the real world power is for this engine.
If it was just one person with low rpm I would chaulk it up as a fluke, but there are multiple posts of low rpm with this engine.
These statements along with the OP's problem (full thread here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8245054/tm.htm ) have me more than just a little concerned about my NIB 125.
Horizon states APC 16x6 9000 rpm, 15% nitro which seems reasonable to me. If this is not reasonable let me know while the engine is still brand new so I can move it along.

Prop, RPM, and nitro information would be great.

[quote]
All went well until I started leaning it out after 1/2 gallon. It behaved normally as I progressively did this over two tanks of fuel, but when I finally had it correctly set it was only pulling 7700rpm. Didn't sound hard or tight, but just wasn't performing. Needle adjustments made it behave pro-forma, but didn't improve the performance. It will happily sit and burn through a complete 14oz tank like this without showing any signs of stress.

Whilst checking that it wasn't overheating, I discovered that if I let it cool down for 30 seconds or so by stopping it or just backing off to tickover, when I opened the throttle again it would belt out at 8800rpm for between 4 and 8 seconds before dying off over a few more seconds back to 7700rpm. This was completely repeatable and continued for another three tanks at which point I gave up.
[quote]

Try a APC 15x6 or 7. Mine is well broke in and wont swing the 16x6 more than 8000 rpm no matter how you tune it and the high speed needle is not very responsive with this prop. An APC 15x8 works a little better but it doesnt come to life until I used the 15x7. I have a 120 Saito that swings the 16x6 with no problem, I wonder what they did while they were shaving weight on this motor. Fuels used are 15 or 20%, never tried 10%
[quote]
9800rpm on a 14x8 is about right for this engine. Mine turned an APC 15x6 @ 9800rpm on 10% nitro. APC16x6 is ok for scale and slow bipe models flying mostly less than half trottle. On my UCD 60 APC15x6 and 16x4w pulled much better and worked better for hovering and 3D. I always have some castor oil in my fuel.
I too have a Saito 125a that has only a couple of gallons of fuel run through it. The vibration is excessive and the prop nuts are very hot after only a few minutes of running the engine. Taking it apart revealed the bearings to be very dry and even a little rusty! I can only assume the crankcase port being in the back plate is causing the oil to be ported out the back and not properly lubricating the bearings (causing the overheating and rust). Could be be a design flaw??? Oh yeah, I too can only get 7900 rpm with an APC 15x8 prop. Should have gotten the OS engine and saved some money!