RCU Forums - View Single Post - LB Getting Ready for SNOW - Kyosho EP Blizzard DF-300 Thread!
Old 12-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Cross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LB Getting Ready for SNOW - Kyosho EP Blizzard DF-300 Thread!

One thing to remember bearings that are sealed have grease inside them. The grease will keep water out. You mentioned putting grease on the outside of them to keep out water but the grease inside them will do this. Some sealed bearings have removable seals so you can clean out old grease and put in new grease when needed. I think you would be very surprised how rust resistant bearings are as long as you do not let them sit in water.

In Canada look for a bearing supplier. Measure your bushings and order the bearings from them most the time at a cheaper price too. I have a few places I was going to order bearings from that are not a hobby supplier. You can pick what kind of bearings you get, how good of a seal, stainless, etc. All you need are the inner and outer diameters of the bushings they will replace.

Edit: I just looked at the bearings you found on ebay. My opinion they are junk for the price they are asking. They have a ABEC 1 rating, this is the lowest tolerance spec for precision bearings. If you are going to go through the trouble of upgrading to bearings I would go with nothing below a ABEC 5. Alot of people will tell you ABEC ratings do not mean much but in my experiences the higher the ABEC rating the better a bearing works. Not all bearings are created equal and ABEC ratings are a good way of weeding out the bad ones and finding the good ones.