RCU Forums - View Single Post - Don't ya just love it when - -
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 03:21 PM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Don't ya just love it when - -

I guess this is off topic, but it follows the direction the thread has turned.

My brother started flying RC a year or two before I did. When he wanted his first computer radio, he did a lot of research on the web and that left him with a lot of questions. Even after downloading manuals he was not sure what some of the transmitters did or how the programming actually worked. We went to Mike's Hobby Shop and they had a great selection of Futaba, Hitec, and JR. I do not think they had any Airtronics but I'm not sure. One of the guys took the time to pull out at least a half dozen different radios and answered all of my brother's questions about setup and programming.

Mike's charges the same as mail order for Kits, ARFs, and most accessories. They have always been higher than mail order for engines and radio systems. Even though Tower would have been almost $40 less (on a $200 unit) when considering 'out the door' price, he bought from Mike's. When you utilize the expertise of the LHS, and handle the merchandise, it is only fair to spend your money with them.

If you know exactly what you want, and need no support, shopping for a good price makes sense. I've spent a pile of money online, but also have given a good share to several local shops.