RCU Forums - View Single Post - When breaking in gears.......
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 06:44 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: When breaking in gears.......

ORIGINAL: madbadger

i take it these are Heng Long boxes you are running it with 'tooth paste/grinding paste' ?

i fitted a set of impact boxes and asked this question to the supplier about running in the boxes with paste type materials, he passed me straight onto a guy at Impact. He asked me if i was mad!!! tooth paste, he said it was like putting sand in a car gearbox, something you should never do. He told me to use any sort of lube, i suggested motorcycle chain spray (it sticks like sticky goo and doesn't fling off like normal grease does) he said that would be ideal. All i had to do was connect them up to battery and run them for 30 mins, then fit them to the tank. He also said the boxes would quiet down after a while, which i would agree with.

Kev

Heng Long and Asiatam gearboxes. Never a failure. Chain grease is a lubricant, not something you'd break them in with. It's quite possible they're so well made (Impact gearboxes) you do not need to really break them in. They'll develop a wear pattern and quiet down in short order.