RCU Forums - View Single Post - BIG LAMA
Thread: BIG LAMA
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Smartbuy101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

Hi DD:
Well, my story for using a camera is a little different. My interests in getting an RC Heli began at work. There was an 120 ft chimney that I needed to get a birds eye view north 9 miles to see if there was line of sight to another tower. The choice was to rent an ariel lift for 2000.00 a day or figure something else out. IT was either float a weather ballon and look from the other side with my 140x binoculars or something I never thought of before. The heli with a camera was the answer. I could get on the roof of the building which brought me to within 80 ft of the top of the chimmney. I got the heli up about 60 ft over the roof, did a couple of 360 degree turns and this was enough to clear the tree line. Of course you can't see the 9 miles it was just to see if I could see past the first ridge which was less than 1 mile. We use long distance radios to send wireless broadband and you can't go through terrain. This turned out to be a great cheap solution. But now I like it as a hobby.

Your right about the 6 channel controls, I've had my Eagle 50 for 4 months and the most I have done is to bunny hop no more than 4 ft off the ground.

Have fun with you Heli