RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Planes Combat Spitfire!
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Textanker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Combat Spitfire!

First off, congrats on your purchase!

I did use the standard muffler with my OS .25. It works very well. I removed the baffle from the muffler and it added a couple of hundred rpm.

I just purchased a Slimline Pitts muffler, but I don't know if it will fit under the cowl. I would have to mount it sideways, and that really wouldn't help. The looks of the model are pretty nice, even with the muffler exposed. In flight, you really can't see it.

Retracts would be a bear. The wings are very thin. I would love to see someone try it, though.

Damn. Now I can't stop thinking about retracts!

ORIGINAL: sheridan005

Hi

I too have purchased this Spitfire with .25 engine (Irvine). Did you use the standard (out-of-cowel) exhaust muffler? Do you know of an in-cowl muffler for such a small engine & model? The Irvine muffler ocer 100mm (~4inch) long with diameter 32mm (~1.2inch) or so. I would imagine such a lump would spoil the looks of the model?

Have only seen electric option in clips, photos and on the box! Hence I'm considering taking electric option.

I took a look at JustEngines (UK) but the only possible suitable one is too wide (i.e. out from the flange to cowl).

Alternative I suppose is to have smaller/neater muffler to replace original Irvine-supplied muffler.

Currently engine is inverted (and in-cowl) as recommended. But could mount sideways (cylinder head poking out should be better than 'huge' muffler??): would then need suitable muffler to sit in space below cylinder and in-cowl.

Also: shame there's no retracts for this model. Anyone tried adding simple, wire retracts (I did see a simple wire based kit, but no detail to assess).

Any feedback appreciated.
Happy New Year.