RCU Forums - View Single Post - Walkera WK-2801 8ch Multifunctional Transmitter Review
Old 01-12-2009, 06:22 AM
ehirobo ehirobo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walkera WK-2801 8ch Multifunctional Transmitter Review

Introduction:
A lot peoples, including us love the 4#3 and 4G3 as these micro helicopter can be flown in the smallest possible space available. The transmitter which came with the kit offer only minimum adjustments. For more advance pilot would like to have more adjustment like exponential, throttle curve, pitch curve, mixings, etc. And it is a pain to carry lot of transmitters if you have a few of these Walkera helicopters. Walkera had come to the rescue with their new WK-2801 transmitter. With all the functions found in high end transmitter and compatible to all Walkera 2.4GHz helicopters, make this transmitter very desirable for pilot with few Walkera helicopters or if you are just looking for a good computerized 8 channel transmitter at a good price.

Features:
This radio have build in manual for both helicopter and airplane. This may come in handy if you fly both. Lot of new features are included with this top of the line model like large LCD display with backlight, Automatic ID assignment, 2.4GHz technology, Wireless data transfer, 8 model memories, airplane and helicopter ready, fail save, stick tension and length adjustment, trim step adjustment, timer, alarm, hot key adjustment, etc. For helicopter manual include 3 flight mode, ccpm mixing (normal, 2 servos or 3 servos 120° configuration, remote gyro adjustment, auto gyro sensitivity mixing, Throttle hold, manual or automatic dual rate and graphic exponential, 5 point throttle and pitch curve adjustment, program mixing, revo mixing, etc. For airplane manual wing selection for flaperon, v-tail or delta airplane, elevator flap mixing, aileron and rudder mixing, landing system, flap system, program mixing, etc.

Operation:
The transmitter feature a medium size grip with non slip surface for sure grip during operation. If you have a big hand like mine may prefer a bigger grip but I can still get a firm hold on the transmitter. All the switches and trims are located at the usual location so it doesn’t take long to get use to it. It weight 692g without battery and it feel very balance. During power up the Walkera logo will flash in varies colour indicate it had not bind with the helicopter yet. And will turn blue during normal operation.

The receiver that comes with the transmitter is RX-2801. 8 Channel receiver measure 39 x 28.5 x 14mm and weight 10g. Quite small for a 8 channel full range receiver. I don’t have any issue mounting it between the frame of my copterX CX 200. And it is a one piece unit so you do not have to worry about mount the remote antenna unit.

I tried this transmitter with 4#3b, 4G3, 200 and 450 size heli and did not have any lost of connection or glitch. I am very happy with this radio but it would be nice to have more model memories. As it have only 8 memories but with the wireless data transfer you can exchange setting between two 2801 transmitters wirelessly. Which may it very handy and you don’t have to worry about losing data pack or SD card.

Conclusion:
For the price and performance of this transmitter, the quality of the plastic molding and materials for the casing is simply superb. This is really a high end radio with entry level price. The only thing I can think of which need improvement is adding more model memories. But at such price I can have 2 of them and it is still cheaper then the radio I am using now.

PRO:
Price
Feature
Work with every Walkera 2.4G helicopter and normal 6 channel helicopter
CON:
Need more memories
Would be nice if it comes with rechargeable battery

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82885.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1109066   Click image for larger version