RCU Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions for L-4 Cub motor
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 01:15 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Suggestions for L-4 Cub motor

I have a GP ARF cub 81in wingspan. It flew for many years (10) on an old ASP80 4c that performed like a modern 65. when it was no longer serviceable I switched to a Magnum 90 4c. both these engines where great for flying in the wind. But last year a Saito .50 4c came available so I installed it. The bigger engines had a problem in fine motor adjustment when flying scale speed, either had to much or to little T. the. 50 solved that problem scale speed at ΒΌ T instead of 2-4 clicks. But the smaller engine brings with it a whole new learning curve. After a stall with the bigger engines I could be flying again in 20ft of vertical lost, with the 50 we are at 60ft. with the old engines I could gas it and go without a care in the world on takeoff. With the 50, some time on the ground rolling out is required, keep it level and it will lift when it is ready. Keep the climb out level and at the end of ground affect she will level off and most times loose altitude, specially in the wind. Just need to remember to keep it level and eventually it will level off then resume climbing. Maneuvers all have to be planed to account for the low power, and long stall recovery. Its fun.

Joe